How much should your handbag weigh?
The fashion trend in handbags is “the bigger, the better.” Most women are thrilled by this as it allows them to be stylish and carry all their essential stuff at the same time. However, carrying heavy handbags takes its toll on backs and shoulders.
Although a USDA study has found that the ideal weight of a handbag should be no more than 2.2 pounds, the average woman carries a handbag that weighs around 5.2 pounds. Chiropractors say your handbag should not exceed 10% of your body weight.
So, what’s a busy woman trying to juggle home, work, kids to do? You can reduce the strain using the following tips:
1. Carry a bag with multiple compartments to keep you organized and weight evenly distributed.
2. Carry a bag with a wide shoulder strap and wear the strap over the shoulder opposite the bag (a la messenger bag). This helps weight distribution.
3. Make a list of essentials and stick to that.
4. De-clutter your bag on a regular basis and take out unnecessary items.
5. Switch the shoulder on which you carry your bag from time to time.
Follow these tips for a healthier, stronger back!